As we wrap up the semester, think about how much you’ve accomplished — and the fun along the way! This is a good time to reflect upon our course goals:
- Effectively use social media for newsgathering, dissemination, and audience engagement.
- Research and locate reliable information from social media to enhance your reporting, and at the same time, identify misleading and unbalanced content.
- Gain the technical skills of mobile newsgathering through the use of mobile devices and apps to gather, produce, and distribute news content.
- Create and enhance your own professional brand on social media platforms.
- Become an engaged and active participant of the online community of the beat that you have chosen.
- Receive HootSuite Certification, an industry-leading standard.
- Use HootSuite analytics and other platforms to monitor and analyze social media engagement and success.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of mobile and social media strategies and policies in news organizations.
- Understand the public’s active role in the news production process, and the resulting impact on journalism.
- Understand the flexibility, innovativeness, and entrepreneurial spirit needed to be successful in this evolving industry.