Twitter. Facebook. Instagram. Vine. These are some of the social media tools altering how journalists do their jobs and how people consume news today. This course prepares you to evaluate and use social media and mobile devices as professional journalists. By the end of the course, you will have the fundamental mobile and social media skills that news organizations are seeking from today’s journalists. You will build your own professional social media brand and produce a portfolio of stories using social media and mobile devices/apps.
Complete the following items by Monday, Feb. 1:
- Review the syllabus
- Request to be added to our course Facebook page
- Follow me on Twitter
- Complete social media audit of your assigned classmate
- Set-up BrandYourself.com account and review results
- Create a professional bio that you can use across platforms. Post your bio on the appropriate forum in Sakai.
- Choose a beat/niche you would like to cover this semester. This should be an area that you plan on pursuing in your journalism career. The goal is to carry your expertise and brand you build in this class with you when entering the workforce.
- I recommend subscribing to e-newsletters from the following:
PBS MediaShift Daily and Daily Must-Reads
Nieman Future-of-Journalism News
Knight Digital Media Center
International Journalists’ Network